Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -AssetVision
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 14:38:58
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Stock market today: Global stocks track Wall Street gains and Japan’s inflation slows
- Now eyeing a longer haul, the US reshuffles its warships in the Mediterranean
- Kids can benefit from having access to nature. This photographer is bringing trees into classrooms – on the ceiling.
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- A jury deadlock brings mistrial in case of an ex-Los Angeles police officer in a 2019 fatal shooting
- AP Week in Pictures: Asia
- Microsoft says state-backed Russian hackers accessed emails of senior leadership team members
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- An Oregon teen saw 3 people die after they slid on ice into a power line. Then she went to help
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Why electric cars don't do well in cold weather – and what you can do about it
- Protests by farmers and others in Germany underline deep frustration with the government
- After Taiwan’s election, its new envoy to the US offers assurances to Washington and Beijing
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- My cousin was killed by a car bomb in 1978. A mob boss was the top suspect. Now, I’m looking for answers.
- Biden says he is forgiving $5 billion in student debt for another 74,000 Americans
- Marcus Stroman buries the hatchet with GM Brian Cashman, ready for fresh start with Yankees
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Maine’s top election official appeals the ruling that delayed a decision on Trump’s ballot status
Two young children die in Missouri house explosion; two adults escape serious injury
A stuntman steering a car with his feet loses control, injuring 9 people in northern Italy
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Prosecutor seeks kidnapping charges in case of missing Indiana teens
Latest student debt relief: $5 billion for longtime borrowers, public servants
Illinois high court hands lawmakers a rare pension-overhaul victory